Getting Started With 3D Printed Design
From Mod Lab
Revision as of 12:17, 8 March 2011 by ClothBot
- 1 Workshop Outline
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Design Flows on a Budget
- 2.2 Printers
- 2.3 3D Printing Services
What is 3D Printing?
- What is 3D?
- 2D: Drawings, paintings.
- 3D: Sculpture, things we use.
- What is Printing?
- Depositing material. Paint, graphite, ink.
- What is 3D Printing? ==
- Depositing material to make a 3D object.
- How does a 3D Printer work?
- Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)
- Cost: Very High
- Tech: High-power lasers fuse any meltable material, from plastics up to metals like titanium.
- Advantages: Produce replacement parts on demand for your fighter jet on an aircraft carrier. Fused material might be recyclable.
- Disadvantages: See Cost.
- Ink-Jet Powder+Binder
- Cost: Medium
- Tech: Lays down layers of powder and "prints" the design using a glue-like binder.
- Advantages: Can do colour. Model structures are self-supporting via unused powder. "Green" parts can be infused with materials from glue to molten metal to strengthen. Unused powder can be reused.
- Disadvantages: "Green" parts are fragile. Hollow parts will trap binder if no exit holes are designed in. Fabricated objects may be difficult or impossible to recycle back into machine inputs.
- Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)
- Cost: Low
- Tech: An extruder head deposits melted material (like plastic) or pastes to build up an object layer-by-layer.
- Advantages: Cheap. Can be completely hollow and air-tight. Can be vestment-cast with molten metal. Simple machine design. For thermoplastic and similar materials, fabricated objects can be melted back down and reused.
- Disadvantages: Large overhangs require support material. Multiple colours and/or materials require complex multi-head extruder designs.
- Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)
Design an Object
Introducing Google SketchUp
- Download: http://sketchup.google.com/
- 2D to 3D
- Extrude: the Pull operation.
- +ve vs -ve space
- 3D Boolean Operations
- When is a mesh not solid?
- Tricks to fixing meshes so they're solid.
- Collada (DAE)
- Download: http://www.meshlab.org/
- Checking models for manifoldness
- Basic fixing operations
- Basic scaling operations
- Pointer to netfabb's online mesh repair: http://cloud.netfabb.com/
- Pointer to netfabb Studio Basic: http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php
- Download: http://replicat.org/
- Basic STL positioning and scaling operations.
- Hooks into Skeinforge (included).
- Turn on skeinview
- Read the resulting GCode.
GCode Visualization (Optional)
- For Blender GCode reader plug-in (all platforms): https://github.com/zignig/blender-gcode-reader
Printing to MakerBot Machines
- Print Direct
- Cupcake: Only print direct for simple designs. The serial link bogs down too easily when there are lots of small movements as found in curves and circles.
- Thing-O-Matic: No issues printing directly.
- Print Buffering to SD Card
- Cupcake: Preferred over direct printing. Necessary for stand-alone operation.
- Thing-O-Matic: Optional. Necessary for stand-alone operation.
- Print to File (aka SD Card in USB reader)
- Cupcake: Faster than dumping data over serial link. Useful for preparing files for multiple "identical" machines.
- Thing-O-Matic: Faster than dumping data over serial link. Useful for preparing files for multiple "identical" machines.
Using the ArtEngine MakerBot Cupcake
Design Flows on a Budget
- Baby Steps
- Google SketchUp
- Layman's CAD
- B(u)y the Book(s)
- The Coder Way
Visualization, Assembly and Mesh Repair
- CloudFabb and Netfabb Studio
- Pleasant3D (Mac Only)
- Blender (STL and GCode Plugins)
- Skeinforge (Python based)
- Cryptic but Necessary
- SuperSkein (Processing based)
- Download: https://github.com/MaskedRetriever/SuperSkein
- Not heavily developed.
- Handy for experimental slicing, generating DXF slices for 2.5D modeling.
Models and Mash-Ups
Open Source - Parent Projects
- Site: http://reprap.org/
- Prusa Mendel
Open Source Hardware - Commercial
- Site: http://www.makerbot.com/
- Cupcake CNC
- Site: http://www.makergear.com/
- Prusa Mendel Kit
- Extruder upgrades for RepRap, RepStrap and CNC machines.
- Site: http://www.ultimaker.com/
- Protobox v1.0
3D Printing Services